Afghanistan Field Director
Applications: No calls please. Send resume and cover letter by mail, fax or email to:
Afghanistan Field Director Search
International Human Rights Law Group
1200 18th Street NW, Suite 602
Washington, DC 20036
Fax: (202) 822-4606
The International Human Rights Law Group is a non-profit organization of human rights and legal professionals engaged in advocacy, training and litigation around the world. Our mission is to empower human rights advocates and defenders at the national level to expand the scope of human rights protection for men and women, and to promote broad participation in building human rights standards at the national, regional and international levels.
IHRLG Afghanistan Program
The overarching goal of our Afghanistan program is to facilitate the effective contribution of Afghan civil society representatives, particularly women, to the implementation of the Bonn Accord through playing a strategic role in developing a new progressive Constitution and a dynamic Human Rights Commission that ensure basic human rights for all. IHRLG's programming aims to create sustainable change in support of human rights, women's rights and rule of law by focusing on the urgent need for Afghan civil society to contribute constructively to those critical processes.
The Field Director will manage IHRLG's Kabul office and will oversee the implementation of our human rights and civil society development projects in Afghanistan. S/he will provide programmatic, strategic and administrative leadership to the Afghan field office, working in close cooperation with our Afghan staff. S/he is expected to enhance the capacity and leadership skills of national program staff.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Advanced degree in a relevant field (law degree preferable);
- Fluency in English, including strong English-writing skills;
- Minimum of five years experience as a human rights professional, including experience of management-level responsibility;
- Regional experience or knowledge;
- Ability to sensitively and accurately represent IHRLG to governments, inter-governmental organizations, non-governmental organizations, funders and the public in general;
- Mature political judgment;
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to plan, work on deadline, and prioritize;
- Ability to communicate, consult effectively with, and motivate other team members; and
- Willingness to travel outside of Kabul.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience. IHRLG offers a generous vacation and health benefits package.
IHRLG is an equal opportunity employer.